NNF invites all film lovers to partake in our celebration. Near Nazareth Festival hospitably opens its doors to filmmakers. Festival participants from around the world will show their works. We believe that the best place for them to present their work – is Near Nazareth Festival. Our festival Near Nazareth NNF is the first of its kind. Our festival will serve to strengthen mutual understanding and friendship between the peoples of the world. Through cooperation with movie lovers from around the world, we will make history. Map.
Certificate and Laurels for:
2) Official Selections,
3) 5 Winners in every category,
Open to the public
All films must be submitted via Online screeners.
If possible, please to provide English subtitles
There are three main mosques in Nazareth that are of interest to visiting tourists, the Peace Mosque, Al-Nabi Saeen Mosque and the White Mosque which is the most historic mosque in the city. In addition there are about 14 other mosques which serve the smaller communities in the city. Map.
The White Mosque stands in the Harat Alghama or Mosque Quarter, in the Nazareth Old Market and in addition to being a place of worship and tourist attraction it is also a venue for educational programs and cultural activities. In the past the mosque was also used as an administrative center for civil matters and had a school and religious court of law.
The mosque and its congregation have a good relationship with the neighboring Christians in Nazareth. The mosque is managed by the Al-Fahum family, a respected local Nazareth family with a long history associated with the mosque. Constructed of the mosque continued from 1785 to 1815 and was paid for by Ottoman ruler Suleiman Pasha.
He ordered Sheikh Abdullah Eel-Ninni, the local high commissioner to construct the mosque. Eel-Ninni was also given a Waqf or wakf (a religious endowment, trusteeship or grant in Muslim law) to administer matters relating to the mosque, Nazareth residents and those living in the surrounding areas.
The Sheikh named the mosque the White Mosque as a symbol of purity, light and peace which followed the end of The Butcher Governor Jazzar Pasha’s rule which preceded Suleiman’s reign. The name also symbolized the cooperation and harmony between the various faiths of Nazareth residents. In 1834 the Sheikh resisted the authority of Egyptian Muhammad Ali and was deported to Egypt where he became a scholar at the Theological Institute of El-Zahr.
He went on to become an important religious scholar and gained the honorary title of al-Fahoum or “wise one.” When he died in 1815 Sheikh Abdullah al-Fahoum Eel-Ninni was brought back to Nazareth and buried in the courtyard on the western side of the mosque which he had established. Since then the mosque has been managed by the descendants of the al-Fahoum family as a “Wakf Den” or family trusteeship.
Modern multimedia technology portrays the Virgin Mary’s role in salvation history at the Mary of Nazareth International Center, just across the street from the towering basilica that commemorates her agreement to become the mother of the Son of God. Map.
A 55-minute, wide-screen presentation, offered in 10 languages, gives visitors a sweeping perspective of Mary’s place in Scripture. The content is divided into four parts, each viewed in a separate room: from Creation to Mary’s childhood; from the Annunciation to Jesus’ birth; the 30 years in Nazareth and Jesus’ public life; and from Good Friday to Easter Sunday.
The presentation, using still and movie photography, is firmly grounded in Scripture, with no fewer than 224 biblical passages quoted. Other exhibits focus on Mary as a Jewish woman, Mary in the Qur’an (which has more references to her than in the Bible), Mary as a source of Christian unity, and Mary in the tradition of the Eastern Christian churches.
There is also a world map of Marian shrines, and a terraced garden with plants that are mentioned in the Bible. The center, opened in 2011 in a renovated building from the Ottoman era, also contains a significant archaeological discovery — the remains of an ancient house that archaeologists believe is from the Jewish village of Nazareth at the time of Jesus and Mary.
The Convent of the Sisters of Nazareth is adjacent to the Basilica of Annunciation. It operates a school, a hostel and a church. Under its courtyard are ancient remains dated to the Early Roman period. In 1881 a group of French nuns arrived in Nazareth and purchased stores and land. They then constructed a convent in adjacent to the Church of Annunciation. Map.
Archaeological evidence was discovered in 1884 at the site on which they were constructing their convent. This included underground rooms, built walls and tombs, some of which date to the 1st Century AD. The area of the excavations had been a Jewish burial site in the Roman period, but it also contained a dwelling in use prior to the construction of at least one of the tombs, itself dated to the 1st century.
The archaeological evidence at the convent remained almost entirely unpublished, and almost unknown to archaeologists, until 2006 when it was the subject of a 5-year study by the Nazareth Archaeological Project, directed by Ken Dark from the University of Reading in England.
Although no new excavation was conducted, modern archaeological recording of the existing remains and objects found, and re-analysis of the records made during nineteenth- and twentieth- century excavations, make it possible to date what was found at the convent much more accurately, and to interpret it in the light of what is known from other Roman and Byzantine sites.
Today the convent operates a school for deaf and blind children, a hostel for pilgrims, and a church. The church and the subterranean remains can be visited, but require an appointment.