In the village of Nain, Jesus brought back to life a widow’s son as he was being taken out through the town gate to be buried. Jesus met the funeral procession carrying the young man’s body and had compassion for the mother (Luke 7:11-17). He performed a miracle and the sun came back to live. Map.
The house of the widow became a church and the grave for the son was still open, even after his death. After the fall of the Latin kingdom in the 12th century, Nain became a Muslim village (and still is).
The Franciscans in 1880 acquired the ruins of the ancient church, which had at one time been converted into a mosque.
Administered by: Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land
Open: The church is seldom open. The key is held by the Franciscans on Mount Tabor.