At the end of the 1850s the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission temporary resided in the Monastery of the Archangel that was granted to it by the Church of Jerusalem. The number of pilgrims increased, and in order to provide better care for people coming to the Holy Land the Mission’s direction purchased in 1860 several pieces of land to the north-east of the Old City. Map.
The location for the compound, which offered accommodations for 2,000 pilgrims, was chosen because of its proximity to the Old City and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
Eventually, as Russian influence declined, the buildings were converted for other uses; they now house the Jerusalem police station, among other institutions.
The recently restored church welcomes visitors every morning (except Mondays) until 1:00 P.M. The whole surface of its interior main hall and dome and two aisles is painted an inspiring celestial blue with salmon accents and numerous depictions of saints.