Christian Guesthouses in Jerusalem

CASA NOVA JERUSALEM

CHRIST CHURCH GUESTHOUSE

Upon entering Christ Church, guests are immediately taken aback by the quiet and private gardens and interior courtyard, offering guests solace and a peaceful refuge from the crowded and bustling walkways outside the premises. Guest rooms are small and plainly furnished but are clean and comfortable and provide private bathroom facilities. The guest rooms situated in the Nicolayson wing are modern and air-conditioned, while those in the historic Alexander Wing recall the Imperial glory of the Ottoman and British Empires.


LUTHERAN HOSPICE

This very popular guesthouse is situated inside the Old city off a narrow alleyway.  This well-run historic German Lutheran guest house occupies a series of lovely restored stone buildings and terraced gardens overlooking the main bazaar and is just a short walk from the Jaffa Gate.

Location

Situated close to the heart of the Old City, positioned between the Christian and Arab quarters, the guest house is proximate to many of the city’s most treasured sites. The guest house is situated within a secure enclave of stone buildings and offers a secluded setting with some of the best views of the Old City from its terraces. The Jerusalem stone architecture evokes an ambiance of historic magnitude and the simply furnishings are modern and clean.

Facilities

Most units do have showers and coffee and tea are available to guests. The site is shared by, but separated from, the Evangelical Lutheran Hostel. Some visitors may be uncomfortable walking to the guest house but the area is safe.


THE BRIDGITTINE SISTERS – MARY’S HOUSE

The Bridgettine Sisters opened this new guesthouse devoted to inter-religious dialogue on December 8th 2006. The guest house offers a tremendous view of the Old City of Jerusalem and is within a five minute walk to Gethsemane and several other shrines. The building now provides a safe guest house for pilgrims and other visitors as well as a conference center and meeting hall.

 

 

Background Information

 

The houses sits on two hectares and is located at the foot of Mount of Olives. The complex was originally built during the period of 1974-76 as a medical research centre, the Gedda Institut. Later, the property was donated to the Holy See and in 2004, Pope John Paul II entrusted it to the Bridgettine Order in order to establish a foundation devoted to Christian Unity and to Inter-Religious Dialogue.

 

 

Location

 

The Old City of Jerusalem is approximately a 20 minute walk however, the 75 bus offers frequent transportation to the Damascus Gate.

 

 

Facilities & Amenitites

 

14 Rooms (Sgl: 4, Dbl:7, Trp:3) with en suite bathroomFull Board available

Elevator

Heating and air conditioner

Telephones in Rooms

Dining RoomChapel

Internet Service

Garden

Lecture Hall for 60 Persons


Guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms.


ECCE HOMO

The 31-room convent is owned and managed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Sion. Central to this ministry is the study of the Word of God and its focus on reconciliation between peoples. Also housed in the convent is the Chemin Neuf Community which is a Roman Catholic community with an ecumenical vocation of Christians of different denominations. Accordingly the convent offers a renowned biblical school in English, French and Spanish. Room furnishings are modest, and common facilities include a beautiful, historic chapel, on site dining room, and lecture halls.

Location

 

Within the ancient walls of the city of Jerusalem situated between the Damascus Gate and the ‘Lion’s Gate and just steps away from the Arab Souk is a beautiful convent known as Ecce Homo.

Background

 

The terraces of the hospice afford guests some of the most spectacular views of the Temple area with the Dome of the Rock, the Western Wall and the Holy Sepulcher as well as the surrounding hills. Beneath the convent, ancient years of history have been discovered including the Strouthian cisterns from the time of Heron as well as pavement (lithostrotos in Greek) fro the ruins of the Antonia Fortress (35 BCE).

Facilities and Amenities

 

31 Rooms (Sgl. 3, Dbl. 25, Trp. 1, Qdp. 2)

BB / Half board / Full board available

Elevator in some parts of the House

Telephones in Rooms / incoming calls only

Dining Room

Chapel

Lecture Hallas for 50/35/20 Persons


Guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms.


SAINT THOMAS HOME

The Saint Thomas Home is owned by the Syrian Catholic Patriarchal Exparchate of Jerusalem and is primarily a guest house for pilgrims.

 

Background

 

The Syrian Catholic Church, a breakaway from the monophysite Syrian Orthodox church, has been in communion with Rome since 1663. The Syrian Catholics have their own patriarch (resident in Beirut), and since 1890, a patriarchal vicar in Jerusalem has served as spiritual leader of the small local community there and in Bethlehem, which totals about 350. In July 1985, the community consecrated the new patriarchal church in Jerusalem dedicated to St. Thomas, apostle to the peoples of Syria and India.

 

Location

 

Centrally located near to the Damascus Gate, and situated opposite the Ecole Biblique of Dominicans, the hospice is ideally situated for guests seeking to explore the old city, as well as meander through the outdoor markets found just outside the property. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a fifteen minute walk way.

 

Facilities & Amenities

 

28 Rooms (Sgl. 7, Dbl. 11, Trp. 10)Half Board Available

Parking

Elevator

Heating

Telephone in Rooms

Dining RoomSoft Drinks

Chapel

Garden

Lecture Hall for 50 Persons

TV Room


Catholic guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms. 


FRANCISCAN DE MARIE – WHITE SISTERS

The Franciscan de Marie guest house is a charming little guesthouse situated across the  street from the Garden Tomb on Nablus Road in Jerusalem. The Catholic guesthouse opened in 1972 and provides simple accommodations that are quite plain, but very clean. Ample secure parking can be found on site, which is a very important advantage in this area. Additionally, there is a nice chapel on site as well as a spiritual leader affording both pilgrims and independent travelers an opportunity for prayer. Unlike most of the other guest houses in Jerusalem, Franciscan de Marie is air conditioned and telephones are available in the guest rooms. Other facilities include a bar, garden, lecture hall, and dining facilities.

 

Background

 

The guesthouse was established by the Franciscan de Marie for the purpose of assisting  pilgrims who visit the Holy Land and to offer them accommodation. The house became a place where the pilgrims can rest, pray and receive help during their stay in Jerusalem. The accommodation is known by pilgrims worldwide and is especially favored by French pilgrims.

 

Location

 

The Franciscan de Marie guest house is centrally located on Nablus Street one block away from the Damascus Gate and directly across the street from the Garden Tomb.

 

Facilities & Amenitites

 

29 Rooms (Sgl: 4, Dbl: 21, Trp:4)

Telephones in Rooms

Heating / Air Conditioner

Elevator

Service for Disabled

Internet Service

Parking

Payment in Cash or Cheques

Dining Room

Bar

Half/Full Board Available

Garden

Panoramic view of the Old City

Chapel

Lecture Hall for 58 Persons

Public Telephones


Christian guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms. 


FOYER DE MAROUN

The Foyer de Maroun guesthouse, located in the Old City of Jerusalem, features 27 guest rooms equipped with private bathrooms. Guest rooms are plain, comfortable, and are very suitable for pilgrim groups and individual traveler seeking simple, but quiet accommodations away from the bustle of the nearby markets. The house is situated within a short walk of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and other holy sites, ideal for travelers seeking proximity to many area attractions. The friendly and warm atmosphere of the guest house is enhanced by its on site chapel and spiritual directors.

Background on Foyer de Maroun

The Mar Maron guest house within the building of the Maronite Patriarchal Vicariate was founded in 1895. The Maronite Nuns from the congregation of St. Therese of the Child Jesus manage the guest house. The nuns are also responsible for other parochial activities concerning the Maronite Parish in Jerusalem.

 

Location of Foyer de Maroun

The Mar Maron guest house is located within the building of the Maronite Patriarchal Vicariate in Jerusalem, in the Old City of Jerusalem near Jaffa Gate.

Facilities and Amenities at Foyer de Maroun

27 Rooms (Sgl: 4, Dbl: 19, Trp: 2, Qdp: 2)

Telephones in Rooms

Heating

TV Room

 Dining Room – Soft Drinks

 Full Board available

 Chapel

Lecture Hall for 40 Persons


Christian guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms


CASA NOVA JERUSALEM

Located between New Gate and Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem’s Old City sits a historic and quaint Catholic guest house- the Casa Nova. The Franciscan run guest house represents one of the largest pilgrim-oriented lodging houses in the country and provides a range of room types as well as several dorms which combined provide accommodations for up to 200 persons. The Casa Nova is a quiet and spiritual property, combining Christian hospitality with a deeply spiritual atmosphere. Rooms are sparsely furnished and are most attractive to pilgrims seeking quiet, yet affordable accommodations. The guest house is ideally located for pilgrims wishing to explore the old city. Most sites are just a few blocks away from the Casa Nova such as the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Via Dolorosa, making it the perfect location for travelers that want to be close by the Old City and holy sites.

The majority of Casa Nova’s guests are Catholic pilgrims from Italy, Spain and Argentina. The Casa Nova is better equipped to house large groups and can only be booked for groups of 15 or more people.

 

Background and History

 

The Casa Nova Jerusalem guesthouse has a rich history. The original guest house was built in the 16th century to accommodate pilgrims visiting Jerusalem. With the increase of travelers to Jerusalem the guesthouse expanded- first in the 1780s, again in 1870 and finally in the 1980s the Casa Nova was renovated once again to better suit the needs of pilgrims. Its colorful history includes the accommodation of Polish soldiers from 1941 through 1946 on the premises.

 

Other Facilities and Amenities

There is no on site parking so most guests are dropped off at the New Gate. Portage for luggage can be arranged by request.

 87 Rooms (Sgl.3, Dbl. 67, Trp. 14, Qdp. 3)

Full board available for groups

Elevator

Garden

TV Room

On Site Chapel and spiritual Director

Private service available aupon request

Three dining rooms

Cafetieria

Two Lecture Hall (for 150 or 50 persons)


*Christian guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 15 or more persons.


NOTRE DAME

Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem represents the largest and most comprehensive Christian guest house in the Holy Land. The 145-guest rooms are in the process of being completely renovated and most offer twin-bedded accommodations and private washrooms. In 2004, Pope John Paul II entrusted the care and management of Notre Dame to the Legionaries of Christ. The Lady of Peace Chapel, located inside of Notre Dame, offers daily mass in English as well as adornation in the afternoons between 5:00pm and 6:15pm. Legionary priests are available for mass and confessions.

 

 

Location

 

The property is ideally situated across from the New Gate, considered one of the primary Old City Fathers in the early 1880’s which were seeking a French pilgrimage home.

 

Background

 

The first foundation stone was laid in 1885 and in 1886, Monseighneur Poyet of Lyons, the Vicar General of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem proposed the name “Notre Dame de France”.  Badly damaged during the war of 1948, it was eventually turned over to the Holy See on March 2, 1972. By special decree of Pope John Paul II on December 13, 1978, it was erected as a Pontifical Institute.

 

Facilities and Amenities

 

145 guest roomsOn-site chapel

On-site spiritual leader

RestaurantLarge Conference Hall for 500 persons

Secured Parking


YMCA-JERUSALEM

History of YMCA Jerusalem

194_1057_c04e2c64c3_icon2

Established in 1878 and operated by YMCA of the USA since 1920, the Jerusalem International YMCA (JIY) is a safe haven for religious, cultural and intellectual freedom for the people of Jerusalem. Jewish, Muslim and Christian people of all ages come to JIY to enjoy the atmosphere of understanding and unity.  For its efforts in promoting the dignity of humankind and peace in the region, JIY was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.

The YMCA has a deep and colorful history. Numerous well known dignitaries have visited the property including Madaline Albright, Hillary Clinton, Warren Christopher. The kindergarten is world renown and unites Jewish, Christian and Moslem children together for daily school activities.

With its elegant arches, domes and 152-foot observation tower overlooking Jerusalem‘s Old City, JIY is a designated city landmark.  JIY is acknowledged as a center of cultural, athletic, social and intellectual life in Jerusalem and is visited by more than 500,000 people annually. In addition to offering amenities such as fitness, dining and hotel facilities, JIY’s auditorium often hosts the most socially and culturally significant events in the region.  JIY’s presence serves as a foundation of optimism and offers a message of hope and reconciliation for all in the Holy Land.

Like YMCAs in the United States, JIY serves the needs of its local community through programs focused on the holistic development of children and youth, health and well-being for all and family strengthening.  A key difference, however, is that JIY must face the daily challenges of serving a community where divisions between belief systems pose a threat to the well-being of children, youth and adults.

In an effort to end the cycle of prejudice and violence, JIY offers a variety of programs designed to stimulate positive connections among people of all faiths and backgrounds. From the integrated Peace Preschool to coexistence programs for young adults, JIY is helping to impact a generation of future leaders who will have the tools to advocate for and secure peace in the region.  Financial support from U.S. YMCAs and the international community has played an invaluable role in the continuation and success of JIY’s unique programs which foster harmony and the building of spirit, mind and body.
View YMCA 3 Arches – Jerusalem in a larger map

Rates including breakfast.

 Facilities

  • 56 rooms
  • Air conditioning
  • Heat
  • On site Restaurant
  • Television
  • Outdoor pool

PAULUSHAUS – ARCHIDIOSES DE COLOGNE

Paulushaus was established in 1908. Because of the political situation it had been used for different purposes, although originally it was built as a pilgrims’ house. There is also a girls’ school attached to it which is called Schmidt’s Girls’ College. The whole property belongs to the German Association of the Holy Land and is run by this Institution.

Location

Paulushaus is located near the Damascus Gate.

Facilities & Amenities

 

32 Rooms (Sgl: 4, Dbl: 23, Trp: 3, Qdp:2)Full Board available

Parking

Internet Service for Guests

Elevator

Heating

Telephone in Rooms

Dining RoomSoft Drinks

Chapel

Garden

Lecture Hall for 35 Persons

TV Room

Laundry Service


Guesthouses can only be booked for groups of 7 or more rooms

 

Please leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.