As you head out to sail on the Sea of Galilee from the pier Tiberias, Genesaret, Capernaum National Park or Ein Gev, the spray refreshes you, gulls wheel overhead, and other “sailors” call out greetings.
What would a lake be without some wet fun? Cruise the lake in a floating restaurant, nightclub yacht, fishing boat, kayak or canoe – all available to rent or book in advance on the shoreline, particularly at the Yigal Alon Harbor in Tiberias. Or splash around at one of three water amusement parks in the vicinity.
For Christian believers, Jesus walked on the water (John 6:19-21), calmed a storm (Matt. 8:23-26), and showed the disciples miraculous catches of fish (Luke 5:1-8; John 21:1-6).
For Jewish believers, who also take the lake trip, heading out to where tradition says Miriam the Prophetess caused a miraculous spring to appear.
There are – in 2016 – four sailing companies available. All of them are available in Tiberias, and there are some differences between them. And there are some things you need to take care it will not happen:
- Many shippers of the boats by the various sailing companies tend to cut the time of the boat tour short to save fuel! Don’t let this happen. The best way is ‘asking’ the shipper how long the trip lasts and monitor it.
- The blaring Israeli music from the speakers is a headache creating experience. Ask the shipper to cut it.
- The best time for a boat trip is early morning in silence. Alternatively the late evening is something beautiful, especially with all the lights from the shores, except you don’t see much! A boat trip in the afternoon or late morning s not advised; it’s warm and sweaty.
- Instead of taking a boat trip, you can hire a little 3-4 persons boat from the pier of Tiberias for NIS 100 per hour. In the winter months, the price will lower to NIS 75 per one and half hour.
The Galilee Sailing Ltd company is located at the Yigal Alon Promenade and is a standard sailing company with nothing extra then only supplying you with a boat trip on the Sea of Galilee in their Jesus Boats. Be aware of overzealous shippers, because they tend to cut the duration of the boat trip short to save fuel! They don’t have an Internet presence and the only way to get more info or order a trip is by calling them or go directly to the company.
Holy Land Sailing is a boat company, operating on the Sea of Galilee for already 20 years and are focused on Christians. They maintain seven boats, ranging from 45 to 150 people on a boat. They fleet consists only out of Jesus Boats.
The Lido in Tiberias is a bit more then a sailing company. It has its own ‘beach’, series of restaurants and a fleet of ten boats. They do have not only Jesus Boats in their collections, also the more conventional tour boats. They organize different cruises for everyone, ranging from party boats in the evening and night, religious cruises in Jesus Boats, Dinner boats and more. But also here you need to look out of cutting the trip short by the shippers to save fuel.
The last, but not the least is the Sea of Galilee Worship Boats, which is managed by Daniel, a converted Christian. They have a fleet of boats and focus on the Christian public for boat trips. They are highly professional and truly offers an excellent experience to anyone booking a tour.
Prices for a tour on the Sea of Galilee range from company to company. The reasonable price for an individual wanting a boat trip on the Sea of Galilee is between the $15 and $25, and not more.
The duration of a boat tour is between 40-60 minutes, unless they declare it differently before the tour.
The price of hiring the Jesus Boat with shipper is from $250 for a hour.
- For those, who want to have a Holy Mass on the Sea of Galilee, you need to provide your own priest. Contact Wim the Guide for a list.
- With tours from Wim the Guide, he always asks his groups for their preferences. For example, if they want to catch their own fish (with or without a little help of the shipper) and to eat it in the restaurants in Tiberias. Or a praying session or a Holy Mass, or swimming at certain locations in the Sea of Galilee. Or maybe to organize live music on the tour. And there is no reason that you can ask this yourself to the boat company instead of letting Wim organize it.
Galilee Sailing LTD
Address: Yigal Alon Promenade | Ancient Boat Museum, Tiberias 14122, Israel
Phone Number: +972-50-939-7000
Sun – Thu 7:00 am – 11:30 pm
Fri 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sat 8:00 pm – 11:30 pm