In 1929, Hotel Feingold (later named Elizabeth Hotel) was officially opened with 80 guest rooms and a theater and a cinema. The inauguration party of the Elizabeth Theater was the colorful event of the decade in Tiberias, and maybe throughout the duration of the British mandate that time. Jews and Arabs, religious leaders and the senior leadership of the mandatory power came to see this beautiful and luxurious hotel. Today the building is almost a wreck.
Hotel Elizabeth was a complex including a hotel and a theater and cinema halls built in Tiberias by the pioneer and entrepreneur Shlomo Feingold . The building was completed in 1929 is named after the wife of Feingold. Feingold’s death changed the place several owners who were trying to rebuild and operate it, but all these attempts failed and he now stands deserted. The site has been set by the Society for Preservation of Israel Heritage Sites as a legacy.
The end of the First World War encouraged the expansion of the British Jewish community in Tiberias by the construction of neighborhoods outside the Old City walls. This goal was set up by the “Mansion House”, led by Asher Zelig Erlich initiated the establishment of a new Jewish neighborhood on the slopes of the mountain in the northwestern, called ” Kiryat Shmuel ” (in honor of the first High Commissioner Herbert Samuel). Neighborhood design architects said Patrick Geddes and Yehoshua Salant who completed the work in 1921 . The planning included residences, public buildings, parks and a hotel.
Feingold joined in 1926 the Association and purchased the plot No. 239 was the size of 5 acres at the corner of Ahad Ha’am and Bialik, and it planned to build the hotel. The hotel’s design architect Feingold said Selig Axelrod But a few months later the two fell out and Feingold gave the work to the architect Aaron Sortzblt and was joined by architect Boris Dov Hershkovitz.
The hotel establishment sought the relevant bodies (promoters, the city and the World) mainly employ Jewish workers and therefore the construction company Solel Boneh hired workers and laborers from Tiberias from the Gordonia group to set up the structure.
The work continued for three years, and the hotel was inaugurated with great pomp on 1 February 1929 in the presence of senior officials led by the High Commissioner , Sir John Chancellor . The hotel, originally called “Hotel Feingold” changed its name to Hotel Elizabeth “(or full name” The relaxation and medical Elisabetta “) in the name of Feingold’s wife, Elizabeth-Elizabeth, who died in Alexandria in 1915.
The inauguration party of the Elizabeth Theatre on February 1, 1929 was a colorful event of the decade in Tiberias, and this was perhaps the most colorful event held in Tiberias throughout the duration of the mandate. In attendance were all the dignitaries of the region, Jews and Arabs, religious leaders and the senior leadership of the mandatory power in Israel: High Commissioner, Sir John Chancellor, the Chief Secretary Harry Locke and beard judges “(Chief Justice) John McDonald. What was behind this event was a joint enterprise of the entrepreneur, real estate agent, businessman and builder Shlomo Feingold and British partner Margaret Palmer.
Feingold’s place in the history of the community, enigmatic figure, initiatives in the field of journalism, his building projects in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Afula, construction of hotels under the auspices Tel Aviv and various other enterprises in many states. Character colorful ties with cult members “British Aizrailiits” ((British Israelites and support them in journals edited, his marriage to Elizabeth Colville (Colvile), Christian girl orphaned Scots, companion of one of the activists of the sect, Margaret Alice Palmer (Plamer) sparked the imagination of detractors who accused him of proselytizing and intentions missionary. his reputation Jerusalem C”fiingold apostate “and Agnon immortalized signaled his book” Only yesterday “as” apostate. “the study of Eliab, and Challenger shows business activity is diverse, made possible thanks to support and finance Margaret Palmer and with the help of his brother, Isaac Feingold, who served as director of the entire real estate business Feingold.
The luxurious hotel was 3 floors and accommodates and entertainment. It was the first theater in the country that was built without support columns using concrete beams crisscross formed the roof frame. The hotel was built on the roof of a dome . The right wing of all 80 guest rooms and left wing were built a theater and a cinema that establishment where silent films were shown. All hotel lounge luxurious marble fountain in its center, a magnificent hall with red velvet upholstered chairs, dining hall, smoking rooms and rooms Bridge and luxuriously decorated pool.
After opening the lodge Feingold to run it while he moved in with his second wife, Judith, and Margaret Alice Palmer (adoptive mother of Elizabeth). Despite the popularity of the hotel had Feingold declared in 1931 on bankruptcy and sell it as he continued to run it as an employee.
In February 1934 moved to the hotel’s management board “Salzmann” and won great popularity among British officers and soldiers. The end of the British Mandate in 1948 was abandoned hotel.
On 15 November 1949 inaugurated the renovated hotel new name “Ginosar” as the film continues to run side under the name “Elizabeth”. Decorating the walls done by artist Hannah Lerner .
At the end of the sixties closed and final hotel building stood abandoned since.
In August 2001 burned down the hotel and the dome collapsed.
Shlomo Feingold died in 1935 and was buried in the cemetery in Tiberias. His wife, Judith, continued to live in a hotel until her death in 1953.