Magdala was the birthplace of Mary Magdalene, was a prosperous fishing village at the time Jesus was active in this region. The ruins of this Roman village is now enclosed within a wall. The archaeologists uncovered the remains of the village dating from the time of Jesus, and a Byzantine monastery. Map.
A mosaic floor featuring a fisherman’s boat was found at the place. The ruins of Magdala are located on the north-west side of the Sea of Galilee, 5 Kilometers north of Tiberias. They were Mary Magdalene’s village, today a town called Migdal.
Magadala, or its Greek name Taricheae, became an important city in the Hellenistic period. Its location on the ancient road made it strategically important (the road from Netufa valley, via the Arbel valley, through Gennesareth valley on the shores of the sea of Galilee, towards north and east).
The water springs nearby, fertile land and fishing industry – all these made it the center city of one of the three Galilee regions in the Jewish Kingdom prior to the Romans. After Tiberias was established (18AD) in the early Roman period, Magdala started to lose its importance, although initially the Jewish population refused to settle in the new city.
During the Jewish revolt it was fortified (66AD), but suffered a tragic end (67AD) by the Roman forces. It continued as a Roman and Byzantine village. During recent centuries there was an Arabic village located around the ruins of Magdala, called al-Majdal (in Arabic: “the Tower”), preserving the ancient name .
It was evacuated in 1948. Today, a new town is built nearby (west to ancient Magdala) and called Migdal. It was established in 1910 by Jewish settlers from Russia, became an agriculture Moshav, and continued to expand to include other residents and focus on tourism (B&B).