This is the traditional site of the miraculous healing of a paralyzed man by Jesus, as recounted solely in the gospel of John, and also the site of the birth of Mary’s mother, “Anne”. Over the pools, originally built by Herod the Great, are remains of massive Byzantine and Crusader churches. Map.
The Crusaders also built the magnificent adjacent St. Anne’s Church, but in 1192 the church became an Islamic institution and later fell into disrepair. In the mid-nineteenth century the French White Fathers were given title to the site and rehabilitated the church.