The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem is a church based complex hospital which is located on Mount Olives, Jerusalem, Israel. The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem was established in 1907 as the main center for the German Protestant community in Ottoman Palestine. Map.
Originally, The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem was used as a health facility before being converted into a hospital by the British. The complex health facility was named after the wife of German Kaiser Wilhelm II called Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein, after visiting Jerusalem in 1898.
The hospital was designed by architect Robert Leibnitz, who got his inspiration from German palaces. After Kaiser’s visit, the construction of the hospital was commissioned. There were several donations that were made to support the construction works and most of the construction materials were imported from Germany. For the records, The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem is said to be the first building in Israel, to have electricity.
The electricity was provided by a diesel generator. During the First World War, The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem was used as German Military Hospital. The hospital was under the control and management of Germany until the British’s conquest, which took over the hospital. After the war of 1948, The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem was officially established as a hospital.
The first two years of operation, the hospital was under the management of the International Committee of the Red Cross. Ever since its establishment, The Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem has served to meet the medical needs of Palestinian refugees under a contract with UNRWA which continues until today. The hospital serves all people regardless of their nationality, race, religion, gender, social status or age.